lunes, 30 de enero de 2012

Eyes

Students carry out some moments of a didactic unit called EYES.

MORNING CIRCLE

  • Point to your eyes and say: “How many eyes do I have? “I have two eyes” and point to them. “How many eyes do you have?” You have two eyes. Point to them all the time. Repeat this process with some children.
  • Ask: “What can you do with your eyes?” “You can see” Open your eyes wide. Close your eyes or cover them up and say: “Oh, oh. I can’t see now.”  Open your eyes and say:” Ah, I can see now”. Repeat the process a couple of times.
  • Do this process with a child. Cover his/her eyes and ask: “Can you see?” Say: “No”. Encourage the child to repeat “no” after you. Uncover his/her eyes and ask: “Can you see now?”. Say: “Yes!”. Encourage the child to repeat “yes” after you. Do these two actions with some children.


Jessica is telling a story called Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What can you see? by Erica Carle. We are still in the moring circle time. You can read some extracts every day instead of the whole story.


Yaiza reads a short story based on the book I can read with my eyes shut, by Dr Seuss.




Tamara Vega reads another story for the circle time. It is based on  The Eye BooK, by Dr Seuss.



LANGUAGE ENRICHMENT


  • Play “Peekaboo” with the children. Ask them to cover their eyes and then uncover them when you say, “Peekaboo”. (This is an example of TPR ). After a few rounds ask them: “Can you see?” Encourage them to say “no”. Then ask them to uncover their eyes. Get something ready to show before hand (something they can recognize) and now ask them: “Can you see (name of an object, animal….)?”. Encourage them to say “yes”.

  • Say the poem “My eyes Can See”. Suit the action to the words.

My eyes can see

My eyes can see.
My mouth can talk.
My ears can hear.
My feet can walk.

My nose can sniff,
My teeth can chew.
My lids can flutter,
My arms hug you.


  • Talk about things you can see with your eyes. “I see children when I look around the room. What can you see?” Encourage them to tell you what they can see. This is the moment when the children use Spanish. Your task is to translate these words in English. Use praise language: Good! Good job! Great! Well done.

  • Call children and get them to look into a mirror. Ask them if they can see their eyes. Ask him/her to point to the eyes in the mirror. As they do it, say a sentence like: “you’ve got beautiful eyes”; “your eyes are lovely”….



  • Present the flannel board story of “Little Red Riding Hood”  or act it out using some props. Focus on the conversation between the wolf and her, when she says: “But Grandmother, what big eyes you have.” "The better to see you".


PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT

  • Encourage the children to blink their eyes. Say this poem as you go along with the blinking. Show them how to wink. Hopefully, they will enjoy watching you wink.

Here Are My Eyes

Here are my eyes (point to eyes)
One and two.
I can wink, (wink)
So can you.
When my eyes are open, (open eyes wide)
I see the light.
When they are closed, (close eyes)
It’s dark as night.





  • Play Stick the Tail on the Bunny. Work with the children one at a time. Place the bunny on a table in front of the child and invite him/her to close his/her eyes and try to place the tail (a cotton ball) in the correct spot on the bunny. After the child tries to stick the tail on the bunny with his/her eyes closed, invite him/her with his/her eyes open. Say “easy with eyes open.” Here we can see another version.




  • In this last activity kids gives a response using the technique of TPR.

SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT

  • During the day or session, select children with different eye colours and say appropriate “Eye Rhyme” to them.

Eye Rhymes

Brown eyes
Your eyes are big, and round and brown,
They must be the prettiest in town.

Green eyes
When I look at you, do you know what I see?
Green eyes, as green as can be.

Blue eyes
Your eyes are as blue as blue can be
Your eyes are the colour of the deep blue sea

Children with (your eye colour)
You see me
I see you.
Your eyes are blue/green/brown,
Mine are too.

  • Sing “Close Your Eyes” or “Be Very Quiet” at naptime. Talk about how we close our eyes when we sleep.


Close you eyes and go to sleep
Go to sleep, go to sleep.
Close your eyes and go to sleep
Little (child’s name)

Be very quiet

Shhh- be very quiet,
Shhh- be very still.
Relax your busy little hands,
Close your sleepy little eyes.
Shhh- be very quiet.




  • Show the children how to give a butterfly kiss. Brush your eyelashes on the back of their hand or on their cheek. Ask the children how Butterfly Kisses feel. “Are they soft?” “Do they tickle?”

Students made up their own story to work the social emotional development.




COGNITIVE

  • Look at pictures of people. Encourage the children to point out the eyes in each photo. Discuss how we use our eyes to see. Invite children to name some things they enjoy seeing with their eyes. They will say words in Spanish. Welcome any suggestions as you say their equivalent in English. Another option is to show them a wide variety of pictures and get them to place on the appropriate pile. Make sure the pile can be easily identified with an icon.

( things I like to see                       ; things I don’t like to see





  • Pretend you’re on a nature walk with children. Have some pictures showing beautiful things to admire. Spread the pictures around the classroom and come up to them. Stop at every picture and say: This is a ……. How lovely/beautiful/great! Can you see it? Open your eyes wide!


  • Provide some eye equipment such as sunglasses, binoculars, magnifying glasses for the children to explore. Talk to the children about how things look when they use different eye equipment.



  • Problem-solving suggestion: Ask the children to do something with their eyes closed- For example, you might ask them to put the two halves of something together or screw on the lid of a jar. Ask them how they are able to work with their eyes closed. Can they use their hands as a guide?



LEARNING CENTRES

  • ART: Encourage the children to draw or paint faces with different eye colours. You can use pictures of people, animals…
  • SCIENCE: The same props as in cognitive. Kids learn some objects related to eyes and what they are used for.
    • DRAMATIC PLAY:
    Sing the following song to the tune of “Go In and Out the Window.”
    I’m looking through my window.
    (look through the picture frame)
    I’m looking through my window.
    I’m looking through my window.
    And I see my friend (child’s name)
    Pass the frame to the child whose name was mentioned in the song, then let that child look through the frame and say the name of another friend.
    Continue until everyone has had a turn.


  • FINE MOTOR: Provide Playdough and wiggle eyes for the children to use to make playdough faces with their eyes.



  • GROSS MOTOR: Give the children wiggle eyes and a shallow bowl. Challenge the children to toss the wiggle eyes into the bowl ( that way they work eye-hand coordination)




  • MATHS: Make some eye-shaped cut-outs in different colours and an Eye Graph - colour a pair of brown, blue, green eyes. Cut out and glue onto a poster board to make a graph-. Each child looks in a mirror, determines his/her eye colour, then picks up the right eye-shaped cut out and places it under the eye colour that matches his/her eyes. Encourage the child to say: “My eyes are brown/blue/green”.


Licencia de Creative Commons

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario